Apr 11, 2008

Good!!

Livie is doing a lot better! (: She's finally gotten rid of the fever and runny nose. She is breathing so much better now. (She wheezes just a little bit, but that's pretty good for Alyvia.) The steroid has worked really well, even her cough has gotten much better. Yay!

The Infant Toddler Program and Early Intervention have been working with Livie. (They come into the home and work with her, they provide therapy and preschool if she needs it. They evaluate her monthly to see where she is at mentally and physically.) She just had her last evaluation, she did really well. Especially compared to when we first got home. When we first got home from the hospital, Alyvia was not at all where she needed to be. She couldn't even walk, she couldn't see (her vision was just starting to come back) She didn't talk much, she just cried, a lot. It was really frustrating to finally be home, and realize that Livie didn't really know what home was.

More than anything, though, it was really hard knowing I had a normal, regular child and now I had a child who had suffered so much brain trauma and so many other complications that her brain was not working right, she was so out of it, and completely not herself. Everyonce in awhile I would get a glimpse of my Livie and I knew she was in there. She needed more time. Her brain needed more time to heal.

When we left the hospital, Livie's CT scans showed that Livie had suffered so much brain trauma that she had brain atrophy. It was really hard hearing that my little girl had brain trauma and damage to her brain. No one knew the extent of the damage, or what Livie would or would not be able to overcome.

After a while of being home though, it was like something finally healed in Livie's brain and she "woke up." She was my Livie Bug, she was back! She had the same personality, some things were a little different, but she was back and started making progress in leaps and bounds.

Like I said, Alyvia just had her last evaluation. She is where she needs to be for her age. She did not show signs of delay. It seems Livie's brain is working just fine. The coordinator gave me Livie's very first evaluation results along with this last one so I could compare....
I sat there and cried and cried. Livie has come such a long way. To know that she had sooo much brain truama, to now being a normal little two yr. old. To see where she came from and then to see where she is now.... Alyvia really is our miracle. I do not know what the future holds for us, but I am very thankful Livie is here and doing as well as she is.

Then: In the PICU when Alyvia was so sick. (She was still only 17 lbs, but she was SO swollen with crepitus - air in her tissues)


>Now: I think the picture speaks for itself



Since it's been so cold out lately, we've been trying to keep ourselves busy in the house....I got some paints out and Livie really loved it! (She even painted the table and chairs -good thing for washable paint!!)




Livie and Rachel (her second mom)

Livie loves Pat!

11 comments:

Shine said...

Oh Megan! That is FANTASTIC to hear that Livie is doing so well! You guys definitely deserve a rest from the worry! I hope she keeps getting better!

Collins Crew said...

Hey you could have warned me this post was might bring on some tears! Sheesh- Im balling my eyes out over here! What an amazing little miracle you have been apart of Meg. I love your little family so much, and I don't even get see you guys or anything. My prayers are with you though. Im so greatful to be touched by your story. I feel so blessed to know you guys! Im so glad Livie is doing so well! keep posting- your audience is vast.

B said...

That's wonderful news, Megan! Alyvia is so precious. Having Julia in my life has given me a whole new meaning of that word. I'm so glad Livie is doing better and we'll just keep praying that she will continue doing so. Love ya!

Lacey said...

I am so glad to hear she is doing so well. That is so amazing and wonderful!

Kyle and Tiffany said...

It's so wonderful to see her doing so well. Hooray that she is exactly where she needs to be for her age! She is lucky to have such a strong mom that is full of faith and hope. You are an inspiration to a lot of people, Megan. You've gone through so much, but continue to stay positive. Thanks for your example.

blkris said...

That is so great that Livie is doing so well. You are such a strong and positive person. I look up to you. How do you stay so positive?

JC Photography said...

I hope you are having fun on your cruise. I talked to your dad at church sunday. Your family was there for Nathan & Lori's baby blessing. He said you were off having a fabulous time. You totally deserve it! Hope it was great.

Jana said...

I'm relieved to hear she is doing better. I can't hardly imagine what it has been like for you..and for her. I have to agree with you, she is a sweet little miracle!

rachel said...

I am so glad she is doing better!!! She really has come a long way - what a little sweetheart! We missed you this last weekend but I hope you are having fun on your cruise!

Pam said...

I am so glad that Livie is better. That picture of her in the PICU just breaks my heart!!

It is amazing though how much fight our little ones have in them.

I LOVE your new blog look too!!

((HUGS!!))

Pam and Rhett

Tammy and Parker said...

What a simply beautiful and inspiring update!