Apr 8, 2008

Update

I think I spoke too soon....Alyvia was doing alright, but then yesterday she got really sick and had a fever all day. She was having a really hard time breathing (I was so worried she was getting pneumonia.) We had to take her back to the pediatrician last night. He was worried about her lungs, so Livie had some chest X-rays to see what her lungs looked like.....
They looked good!! PHEW! I was SO relieved. She doesn't have any fluid in her lungs and the atalectisis (portion of lungs that has closed off) has even gotten better.
Because she is having such a hard time breathing though, she is starting a steroid, the albuterol treatments just weren't cutting it. I am not crazy about a steroid, but it's a low dose and if it helps her breathe than it's worth it.

The pediatrician thinks the most likely cause of the new fever is a viral infection on top of what she already has (RSV.) The doctor doesn't want Livie on antibiotics because of her long history with C-Diff.
Right now our biggest concern is Alyvia's lungs and making sure she is getting enough oxygen. As long as her lungs can hold up she'll be okay, and right now they are. (They just better keep holding up!! ;)

10 comments:

Leslie and Josh said...

I hope things get better. I know it's always scary when your baby gets sick; even when the are without previous complications. Good luck. Keep on Keep'n on.

rachel said...

Sorry to hear about your sweet little girl. We'll be praying for her.

Michelle said...

sorry to hear about Livie...
It will be fun to go to Mexico, Cobo was fun, what are you going to do with Livie when you go? I am sad we will not see you on Sunday.. I drive all the way up there and you are flying out of the state haha, it will be so fun and warm you deserve to get away.. Tenille does not have a computer ya lame I know but when she gets one I am sure she will get a blog:)

Anonymous said...

Megan, I am so sorry to hear about little Livie. It makes me so sad that she fights so hard to stay healthy but what a trooper! She seems to always have a smile on her face. I will pray for her little lungs to get better and for you to be strong, which you already are!

Kendall and Katy said...

I hope things get better for Livie. Madeline had RSV last year and they put her on a steroid as well. She seemed to get better after about two weeks. I know her lungs sounded bad too and it scared me because I thought she was getting worse but she was actually getting better. We are praying Livie's lungs get better and hold up to this nasty virus and RSV.

blkris said...

I am so sorry to hear that Livie is not well. I hope she gets better soon. Take care of her and yourself too! Try to get some rest. Good luck!

the Petterson Family said...

We will keep her in our prayers...Hope she gets feeling well soon.

B said...

Megan, we'll be praying for you. Sure love you.

Ashley and Dave said...

I hope Livie starts to feel better...by the way, I love the little rain boots.

Leslie and Josh said...

Hey Megan, I've noticed that a hot compress their chest helps to clear things up a lot. I took a bag with some rice in it and microwaved it for one min. Make sure the bag is open in the microwave. Then rap a kitchen towel around it and put it on her chest.The towel helps it to stay warm longer without getting too hot. I would also put the oil RC on my baby but; the hot compress should still help by itself.