Nov 27, 2007

Miracles

"There must be a God afer all, because this is really a miracle...." this is quoted from Alyvia's nuerosurgeons after they examined her and realized that she doesn't need a lumbar drain put back in or a shunt put it, which was previously planned.
So yes, there is a God, and yes, miracles really do happen. Alyvia's brain seems to be healing on its own, without any help, which really is a miracle! Right now, she doesn't need a drain or a shunt, which none of the nuerosurgeons understand, she should need help regulating her spinal fluid, these things don't just fix themselves....but that seems to be the case for Alyvia.

Also, yesterday Livie could see, I mean really SEE, I knew her eyes were working because she just kept looking all around in awe, she was so focused and I knew she was really seeing. Unfortunately, she still can't see all the time, it comes and goes, but I have faith that her vision will return. I am just so glad that she can see sometimes, it will come in time. (They said 75% of the time the vision will return, but to give it one year for the brain to heal.)

Livie had a sleep study done and we finally got the results back, she does have sleep apnea. Her brain isn't telling her body to breath, which is why she de-sats (her oxygen drops) when she is relaxed or sleeping. So from now on Livie will have to be on oxygen at night and when she naps. She has been using blow by, but now she will have to sleep with nasal cannula oxygen...I don't know how she is going to like that up her nose!

So far IV team has been able to find veins to poke...so hopefully her veins will last until she is done with antibiotcs, we have 15 days left. Her spinal meningitis culture still isn't growing anything, which is great, she doesn't have any other bacteria growing.

Livie still has C-Diff, she is having a hard time getting rid of it because she is on so many heavy duty antibiotics.
Overall, Alyvia's body is healing and slowly getting better. She has come a long way, and I know she still has a long way to go, but I am so thankful for all the baby steps and big steps she has made. I am so grateful she is here and doing as well as she is doing.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Wow! Megan, God is aware of you an Livi. He loves you so much. How can our faith and testimonies not grow when we follow you along your road of trials. We are so happy for every little bit of progress that is made - but this, this is huge! Your faith sustains us all as you post your thoughts and feelings each day. Thank you, we love you, you will continue to be blessed for your faith. We will be praying for you!
Love, The Davis Family

Quintin & Teresa said...

You never fail to make me cry! I'm so happy for you guys! What a huge step in the right direction!

Tara said...

Megan, That is so exciting. I am so happy for you and Alyvia. I hope all keeps going well. Way to keep the faith and stay strong for Alyvia. You are one awesome mommy.

Juli Clapp (Young) said...

We are so happy to hear this good news! (We just recently learned about your blog & are so happy to be able to see Alyvia's progress). We pray for you, Hutch and Alyvia daily(our kids ask about her often and hope she is "feeling better." We will continue to pray for your family and sweet little girl.
Love & best wishes,
The Clapp Family

Shelley said...

Yay Yay Yay! What wonderful news! Miracles truly do happen, sometimes they just take longer than we'd like. Keep having faith and more miracles will come. Thanks for posting!

Anne Pearson Photography said...

Ya for good days! I'm so happy to hear that Livie is healing...What wonderful news. Thanks for sharing. By the way, that was my daughter, Sage, that came in to give Livie the blanket with Jen and Justin. She was touched. Thanks for letting her do that.

Ashley Phillips said...

Sis can I just say one word... WAHOO! Mom told me the news and I am soooo excited! I can't wait for you guys to come home. Thanx for also letting me stay at the hospital with ya for all those wonderful filled days! MISS YOU!!!
luvs and hugs!
ash

Jess and the KIDS!!!! said...

What an amazing story Megan. I am in awe with how you have dealt with this trial. I want youto know if there is anything you need please feel free to call. You have such an amazing family with great FAITH. Take care, Jessica Cox