Nov 20, 2007

Spinal tap

Livie is sicker today, they think she might have a UTI too. Poor little girl has got to be in quite some pain, she can't have heavy painkillers though, they're afraid it'll sedate her too much and make her stop breathing.
Tomorrow Alyvia is going to have a spinal tap, I am a little nervous because she'll have to be sedated for that....and she does NOT do well with sedation. They are doing the spinal tap to test her spinal fluid to see how strong the bacteria is (hopefully its gone!!) If it is gone then Livie can finally start the 21 day antibiotic countdown. We get to hold off yet another day on putting the lumbar drain back in, however if Livie doesn't start acting like she's feeling better then neurosurg will have to put the drain in anyway (we don't know what the swelling in her brain is doing to her because she has so many other things going on inside her body) Right now its so hard to tell whats causing her the most pain....C-Diff (tummy bacteria) or Spinal Meningits or the swelling in her brain....she hasn't been very responsive the past couple of days, she doesn't talk much now, she mostly just cries....a lot. Not that I blame her. So hopefully she can feel better soon. I hate seeing her in so much pain.
I found out today that the kind of Spinal Meningitis Alyvia has causes hearing loss 1 out of 10 kids....yikes!! However, Livie's answered my questions a few times and repeated me, so she can hear me...phew!! (:

2 comments:

Brenna said...

Megan, I am so sorry to hear about all of these complications. If anyone deserves a day without them, it is Alyvia! She is such a sweet little girl. I am so glad that I can still see you at the hospital, but I really wish that Alyvia would just get better and you guys could go home and get back to life. I wish I could say when that will happen, but as you know, nothing is normal with your little girl. I do wish you guys the best and I think about you guys often and Livie is always in my prayers. See you soon!

lexiandgriffinstaxi said...

Megan and Livie Bug,
I was so touched by the verse from Moroni that your mom posted yesterday... I know that Livie's Heavenly Father is with her and her cries are heard, as are yours. We love you both so much and are still continually amazed by both of you girls. As always, you are in our thoughts and prayers.
We love you both so much!
Summer & family