Nov 16, 2007

A sad day

We have hit a bump in the road, Alyvia's spinal fluid was tested and it came back positive....she does have Spinal Meningitis (where the spinal fluid gets infected and infects the membranes surrounding the brain) which is really frustrating. She is really sick, she has to be on anitbiotics for 21 days and the nuerosurgeon will NOT operate on her to put a shunt in until she is off antibiotics....so we are going to be here another month. Meanwhile, her spinal fluid is still not circulating right and its putting pressure on her brain, and pressure on the opening where the lumbar drain was inserted into her spine. So she is getting re-sutured for the 3rd time to try and stop the fluid from leaking. At some point she is going to have to have some sort of drain put in her brain (EVD) or her spine again (possibly another lumbar drain) to relieve the pressure building up, but right now she is too sick, so we are waiting and praying that the pressure in her brain isn't too much, and that she doesn't get any sicker.

Also, another one of Alyvia's PICU buddies, another amazing family we got to know, lost their baby boy. They too have been here for quite some time while baby Noah fought hard to live. Noah was such a sweet little baby. Its so sad being here and seeing these innocent, little children so sick, and then seeing these great families have to go through such things. Thats got to be one of the hardest thing to ever have to go through. We are going to miss you NOAH!!

Life is so precious, I am so grateful for every day I get with my sweet little girl. I always knew from day one that she was special. I really do feel lucky that I get to be her mom. She has taught me so many things. Before I became a mother, I never knew I could love THAT much. Alyvia amazes me every day, she is only 2, but she is so strong and she has such a sweet little spirit. I have to have faith that she will keep fighting to get better so that we can eventually go home....together.

3 comments:

Ashley Phillips said...

I love you!!!!!
ash

Tara said...

Stay strong. Keep giving her the will to fight. You are an amazing mom and even though you are frustrated and may get discouraged you are Alyvia's rock and she needs you. Good luck and we'll keep saying our prayers for you.
Love,
Tara

Liz said...

We love you all! We miss you, our Sundays just aren't the same. The kids are really missing our cute bug! She has so many good, wonderful people praying for her. I wish I could be there more. I knnow how hard it is and I'm sorry you have to go through this, I do know the Lord hears us and He loves Alyvia and we can't be fearful, we have to have faith in him and unfortunately that is so hard, when so many things have happened. Give Noah's parents a hug for Dad And I. Stay strong!!!